Sunday, October 14, 2007

looking (not too far) ahead

Time to write again, my head is saying; Autumn has somehow crept up on me and taken me by surprise, taking me, with the accompaniment of the job search doldrums, to a head full of a rainy drone and question marks. As I might say, the usual.

There are many story ideas, having been growing in my head like a bacteria culture in a petri dish for many years, that seem near a state of maturation and readiness to be somehow told. Perhaps with the newfound luxury of time on my hands, I can begin to get into a routine of doing some writing everyday, much like I am now doing with regular exercise. If my undersized self can manage ten pull ups, ten push ups, and forty sit ups (alternately, five pull ups, twenty push ups, and forty sit ups) four to five times a week, then I think I can manage to begin doing a half an hour of writing work that many times (at least) a week as well. I should say it's about damn time; if I can get a few outline sketches out there, something could start to form. I should really give that some thought, as it may be a worthwhile (and an I'm-looking-like-I'm-working) distraction from the mind- and soul-numbing work that is the life of an administrative assistant in a House of General (and Specific) Dysfunction like the current rehab facility I can't seem to get out of fast enough. I mean, our clients, who come in with practically nothing to call their own (or themselves) can get out of rehab in six months with a new job and living space; I have the new digs, but it's been five years, and I'm still not out of rehab? Note: this is currently my favorite way to make fun of my new-job-less situation; describing it as not being able to get out of rehab can get me some amusing looks.

On the new job front, I should be hearing something this week, whether positive or negative. That is, at least, what I have been led to believe.

The christmas cactus is showing a plethora of bloom sprouts already; this appears to be a colorful year for my kitchen table. I re-potted it recently, and while that procedure was quite the fiasco, it has plenty of room to grow now and will likely just take off again once the flowers have been shed. My adopted plants from Ivy are thriving, I am happy to report, and the cats are well, so the whole act of sustaining living things does not seem to be too terrible of one for me. Perhaps a small herb garden is next, with some peppermint, basil, and rosemary, at the least...

--fruicy--

No comments: